Department: Client Accounting ServicesReports to: Senior Controller or VP of Client Accounting Services
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
The primary responsibilities of this full-time position is to manage all business activities for assigned clients. Under the direction and supervision of the Senior Controller or the VP of Client Accounting Services, the Controller is responsible for providing direct oversight to all Assistant Controllers and Staff Accountants, including primary and offsite locations, to ensure all business activities and duties are adequately communicated, understood, and implemented. The Controller is the Primary Point of Contact (“POC”) for the client and will delegate responsibility to team members.
LocationLos Angeles, Newport Beach, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego
- Oversees all bookkeeping and accounting activities for assigned client(s)
- Conducts self in a professional manner related to all client communications and interactions
- Conducts self in a professional manner related to all engagement team communications and interactions
- Develops new business for the firm
- Ensuring all staff responsible for Client Accounting Services are adequately oriented, trained, and overseen in the performance of day-to-day activities in an effective and efficient manner.
- Oversees all client accounting needs for assigned clients as well as day-to-day activities of client accounting teams.
- Completes reports as assigned for Senior Controller, VP of Client Accounting Services or other members of Management.
- Communicates regularly with regional offices to ensure compliance with service delivery standards, billing and utilization processes.
- Directs the training and development of supervised staff in the performance of client service delivery, billing and utilization processes, including developing training to address changes as they occur.
- Responsible for the outcome measurement of client account activities and success; produces or helps produce annual reports for the Senior Controller, VP of Client Accounting Services or other members of Management.
- Complies with all regulatory bodies, under the direction of the Senior Controller, VP of Client Accounting Services.
- Completes required trainings according to firm policies.
- Oversees accounting system set-up, business consulting, and experienced consulting in Xero, QuickBooks and other related financial systems to clients and firm staff.
- Oversees the creation of industry specific chart of accounts for clients.
- Understands individual client needs and tailors accounting set-up appropriately.
- Oversees monthly closing and financial reporting processes.
- Oversees and advises on implementation and maintenance internal financial controls and procedures.
- Oversees year-end closing and reporting.
- Maintains professional mastery over accounting practices and various accounting software.
- Provides technical accounting oversight and development of training materials as needed for internal team members and for clients.
- Actively markets and recruits with accountability for the firm.
- Anticipates, identifies, and resolves complex client and firm issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned from time to time by the Senior Controller, VP of Client Accounting Services or other members of Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experienced with Microsoft Office suite, Excel, Word and Outlook
- Experience with QuickBooks Online and Desktop, Xero and Enterprise strongly preferred
- Experience with other financial and accounting software preferred
- Works well in a team environment
- Ability to operate calculator, computer, and other general office equipment.
- Feels comfortable working with a variety of computer software both desktop and cloud based
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements of processing payroll accounting transactions, Payroll returns, Business tax license, Secretary of State filing and State Board of Equalization
- Heavy overtime during February, March, April, and December.
- Works in the office 98% of the time.
- Minimal Hazards.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. College degree or equivalent in experience and education is highly desirable
- 7+ years of accounting, bookkeeping and controllership experience.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to excellent client service, flexibility, and the ability to manage constantly shifting priorities
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing, in English.
- Must be able to keep client matters strictly confidential.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and customer service skills.